- 2 15-ounce cans good quality low-sodium broth or stock
- 4 or 5 chicken wings (if using chicken stock), or
- 2 or 3 beef bones, from the butcher (if using beef stock)
- 1/2 medium onion 1 small carrot, in 1″ chunks
- 1 stalk celery, in 1″ chunks
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 black pepper corns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stalk parsley
- 1 branch fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Place all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cook about 20 minutes. Pour hot stock through a strainer to remove vegetables and herbs. Makes about 3 cups stock.
The stock can be used immediately, refrigerated for two days, or frozen for up to two months. To destroy any pathogens ALWAYS REBOIL stock before use. Sizzleworks’ video “Stock Secrets” provides an excellent explanation and demonstration on the intricacies of preparing delicious stock.