Silky, rich stroganoff is a delight, and quick to make with a seasoned ground beef mixture.
- 1 recipe basic ground meat mixture cooked as directed above
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1/2 pound mushrooms trimmed and sliced (3 cups)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flour I like Wondra here, but A/P will do
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes drained and sliced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound egg noodles cooked
Remove the ground meat from the skillet; set aside. Heat the 1 tablespoon fat over high heat. Add mushrooms, sauté 2 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms, cook and stir 2 minutes. Pour in wine, reduce to one half. Lower heat; add beef stock, mustard, tomato paste, tomatoes and paprika, stir just until combined. Combine with reserved beef, cover with foil and pot lid. Braise until tender: cook over low heat (below simmer) or bake at 350°F for 2 hours. Stir in sour cream, heat through, but DO NO OVER HEAT! Correct the seasonings. Serve immediately on hot pasta, sprinkle with parsley.