Hummous is an extremely popular snack from Middle Eastern countries across north Africa to Turkey. The Moors brought their cuisine to Spain when they emigrated hundreds of years ago, so you will find hummus in Spain as well! As a delicious snack, healthy, mouth-watering, satisfying, hummus is a perfect choice for pre-dinner appetizers, tailgating or for a light dinner with cheese and crackers. Making hummus at home is easy as PIE! And you can customize to suit your own tastes and desires.
- 4 tbsp tahini, or sesame seeds, finely ground (can be toasted if desired)
- 2 cloves cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can chick peas (Garbanzo beans), drained reserving a teaspoonful of beans for garnish
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1-2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1-2 dash Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 sprinkle paprika
- 1 tsp freshly minced parsley
- pita wedges and or crudite for serving
Grind sesame seeds in food processor until powdery. Add garlic, process until it is minced. Then add the chick peas, lemon juice, and salt. Process until completely combined and very finely chopped. Add the olive and sesame oils and process until smooth. Correct the seasonings. Spread on large plate, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with paprika and freshly minced parsley. Top with reserved garbanzo beans. Serve with pita wedges. Makes about 2 cups
Additional flavoring agents:
- BEET: drain I 15-ounce can of cooked beets, add with beans and process
- CARROT: cook 1 cup chopped carrots in water until tender; or in the microwave on high for about 1 ½ minutes. Drain and cool. Add with beans and process.
- ROASTED RED PEPPER: Roast 2-3 red bell peppers at 400°F for 35 - 45 minutes, until blistered. Seal in foil to steam and cool. Peel the peppers, add to the beans in the food prcessor.
- PESTO: Stir in ½ cup pesto (recipe follows) after preparing hummous.
- CHIPOTLE: Add 2 chipotle chilies and 1 tablespoon sauce from a can of chilies in adobo.