It has been said that dessert is the most important part of the meal if you want to impress someone, as it will be the course most remembered. In that case, for my Mexican menu I will go with these margarita squares — a perfect balance of sweet, sour, salt and a lot of YUMMM!
A perfect balance of sweet, sour, salt and a lot of YUMMM!
- 1-1/2 cups soft butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine ingredients mix well. Press into 11” X 14” pan. Bake 15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Meanwhile, make filling:
- 1/3 cup flour generous
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs beaten
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- Powdered sugar
- Sea salt
Combine flour and sugar, mix in eggs, lemon and lime juices, zest and liquor. Pour into slightly cooled crust. Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes more. Cool on rack. Dust with powdered sugar, sprinkle with sea salt and cut into squares.
Makes about 6 dozen.